John F. Canna has practiced continuously in the areas of school, municipal and public sector labor relations law, and related litigation since 1977. He is licensed in Illinois and is a member of the Trial Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the bar of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Canna has been an instructor in school law for Western Illinois University and in labor law for Prairie State College. He has lectured in school legal matters for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education and at institute and in-service programs for teachers, administrators and school board members.
Mr. Canna is a frequent speaker on school law issues at the conventions and conferences of the Illinois Association of School Boards and the Illinois Association of School Business Officials. He regularly addresses school administrators on teacher evaluation/remediation and other school law issues.
Mr. Canna has also served as Special Assistant Attorney General of the State of Illinois and as a Special Assistant State’s Attorney.
- Illinois Council of School Attorneys (charter member)
- National Association of School Boards Council of School Attorneys (charter member)
- Illinois State Bar Association Education Law Section Council (past)
- Chicago Bar Association School Law Committee (past)
Awards & Recognition
- Contributing Author: School Law, 1980, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- School Law
- Labor and Employment Law
- Staff & Board Training
- Northwestern University School of Law - 1977
- University of Notre Dame - 1974